ThePRF.com Forum

The People's Republic of Football Forum
It is currently 11:28am August 24, 2019

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sharp Objects
PostPosted: 4:08pm August 8, 2018 

Have thanks: 1441 times
PSN Network name: kdoubs
This show is incredible. I love when high budget shows play with visuals like this. It reminds me a lot of True Detective season 1 in that way. Performances are on par as well, Amy Adams is crushing it. I'm completely engrossed the whole time.

Watch it!

Post subject: Re: Sharp Objects
PostPosted: 5:06pm August 8, 2018 

Have thanks: 481 times
Xbox Live Gamertag: nathaniel151
The Doubs is on point. I tried doing work with this show on in the background and flat out couldn't ingnore the screen. It's the best show since the first True Detective season.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 8:52pm August 8, 2018 
Jedi Gumshoe Badass

Have thanks: 1180 times
Xbox Live Gamertag: WaterlooJL
PSN Network name: WaterlooJL
It's really good. Amy Adams is really good. Allison and i are both enjoying it, differently, because I read the book and she didn't. I have to keep my mouth shut about the additions/changes they make.

PostPosted: 3:13pm August 9, 2018 

Have thanks: 1409 times
Xbox Live Gamertag: Mikeyboy42
Ethan wrote:
It's really good. Amy Adams is really good. Allison and i are both enjoying it, differently, because I read the book and she didn't. I have to keep my mouth shut about the additions/changes they make.

I love the show too. too bad there isn't a plot at all. (Ive just watched 1.5 eps so maybe a plot shows up in episode 3? fingers crossed) But I love the wierdness and any adams is crushing it. Has some fun rewinding to see the little words and people popping up and disappearing from shot to shot..

PostPosted: 7:36pm August 9, 2018 
Jedi Gumshoe Badass

Even in the book, the plot was okay. I wrote this over in the Print forum, about the book:
Ethan wrote:
Keeping this review spoiler-free, I really liked it. The main character is flawed and makes poor decisions, but I never stopped rooting for her. The murder mystery is fine, but the star quality of the book is the oppressive cattiness of the small Missouri town. Wind Gap felt real and I could smell the summer gravel of the roads and I would never want to go there.

PostPosted: 8:18am August 10, 2018 

Yeah it's more about the strangeness of small towns, and the murder mystery is the lens.

PostPosted: 10:51pm August 10, 2018 

Kevin wrote:
Yeah it's more about the strangeness of small towns, and the murder mystery is the lens.
Ok just finished episode 5. Meh. I'll finish it at this point and I do give it credit for atmosphere, the characters and the acting. But...I am starting to hate the clippyness of the editing and the sound is horrific. With the flashbacks, the "hidden" words in the background, and the mumbley low talkers, I think I miss 2 of every 3 sentances...the show is becoming a grind. My wife is getting annoyed with me....

Me: wait what word was that? In the background.... Did you see that?
D: "scared"? "Sacred"? I don't know...
Me: ugh [presses rewind, tries to pause on the frame, misses it, rewind again]

A few seconds later....two characters talking...flashback of ghosts on the highway...me thinking "who was that? Amma or the other girl?" Dialogue between two characters plows ahead, I miss it
Me: wait what did she say?
D: I dont know...
Me: ugh [presses rewind]
D: no ugh not again, we'll never finish this damn show....

Repeat...

P.s. a waay better 2018 show about alcoholics with daddy issues is "Patrick Melrose" (showtime) 5 stars from mikey

PostPosted: 8:09am August 11, 2018 
Jedi Gumshoe Badass

You are right about the sound.

PostPosted: 1:17pm August 27, 2018 
Jedi Gumshoe Badass

This wrapped up last night. Overall I thought it was okay-to-pretty-good. Spoilers ahoy.
Spoiler:
That ending was bullsh*t. Not the ending plot-wise but the execution. Going into last night, I knew they had a lot to wrap up and fit in: Adora's near-lethal ministrations of Camille, Adora's arrest, Amma and Camille moving to St.Louis, Amma making, alienating, and killing a new friend, and the wrap up. And the pacing was all off. At the end of the show, I had to explain everything to Allison, who hadn't read the book but was paying attention. She didn't grasp from that two-second reveal/face to black that Amma had been the killer all along. I had to explain that Adora really did kill Miriam, but not the two toothless girls. I know the director came on in the after show and said it was an artistic choice, but I ain't buying it. I think they ran out of time and wrapped it up in the most time-efficient way possible. There shouldn't be so many unclear questions for a viewer after an eight-hour movie.

Stuff I liked:
  • The acting, mostly. Amy Adams and the girl that played Amma were great. The two cops were pretty good, especially Big City. I actually thought Patricia Clarkson's Adora was a little too subtle. She needed more facial expressions.
  • The atmosphere of the show.
  • The commitment to tell the story more or less exactly how the novel did.
  • the additions to the story over the novel were true additions, not padding. Camille's gang rape as a high schooler was devastating and fit the character and the story.

What (else) I didn't
  • Somehow Camille was less sympathetic in the show, even with Amy Adams in the role. She was hard to root for.
  • The f*cking sound mixing was just the worst.

Overall, I'd give it a B. I don't know that I would have stuck with it if I hadn't read the book and enjoyed the book.

PostPosted: 10:24am August 28, 2018 

I liked it a lot. I would give it a B+, I didn't have as many issues with it.

Spoiler:
I guess I hear you about the pacing. If anything, when I realized they put Adora in jail halfway through the finale, and the girls moved away, I immediately suspected Amma. I did love the reveal of the floor being made of teeth, and then the final dialogue being "please don't tell mama" was chilling. That stayed with me. I suppose if you already know the bit about the floor, it's less impactful.

The part I didn't get was why they showed us that Amma's friend was cutting, I'm not sure what that added to the plot. Maybe Amma saw that as another commonality between her friend and Camille?

I thought that Camille was more sympathetic because of all her flaws and demons. Sleeping with the high school kid was a "no no no no" moment, but consistent with her self destructive streak.

Good show, I'm tempted to give it another watch, but probably won't.

PostPosted: 2:59pm August 28, 2018 

Kevin wrote:
I liked it a lot. I would give it a B+, I didn't have as many issues with it.

Spoiler:
I guess I hear you about the pacing. If anything, when I realized they put Adora in jail halfway through the finale, and the girls moved away, I immediately suspected Amma. I did love the reveal of the floor being made of teeth, and then the final dialogue being "please don't tell mama" was chilling. That stayed with me. I suppose if you already know the bit about the floor, it's less impactful.

The part I didn't get was why they showed us that Amma's friend was cutting, I'm not sure what that added to the plot. Maybe Amma saw that as another commonality between her friend and Camille?

I thought that Camille was more sympathetic because of all her flaws and demons. Sleeping with the high school kid was a "no no no no" moment, but consistent with her self destructive streak.

Good show, I'm tempted to give it another watch, but probably won't.

Yeah...I agree with Ethan
Spoiler:
terrible direction. Im glad they tried something new/different and I dont like being too critical of that...but the editing and sound annoyed me for all 8 episodes. And the end was dumb. Any show that I need to google what happened in the book to figure out what the director was trying to do is dumb. Important plot points shouldn't be in the credits or *Require* rewinding/slo-mo or pause by the viewer. maybe im old school but this just had too much of that. The little words in the background took me out of the story too many times and were essentially meaningless. still I'd watch shows like this all day. I still liked the story (once it decided to have one) and the characters were good. so ....I agree with the B rating