ThePRF.com Forum

The People's Republic of Football Forum
It is currently 8:56pm February 15, 2019

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 9:21am July 23, 2018 

Have thanks: 481 times
Xbox Live Gamertag: nathaniel151
This isn't a new one, but I remembered reading about all the awards it won last year and noticed it was only $20 on the Playstation store. In summary, this is the best $20 I've spent in a long while. <Insert crass joke about your mom here>.

I should start by mentioning its not really a "game", as much as an interactive story. Without giving too much away, you play in the first person as Edith Finch - last living member of the Finch family which seems to have been cursed. The game takes you on a tour of the ancestral family home located cliff side on an island off the coast of Washington. You "play through" the creepy and sometimes ironic deaths of each family member throughout history as you knit together a narrative summing up the inheritance of the Finch family name.

To begin with, the graphics are beautiful. I found myself often ignoring the plot points just to look around and take in the detail of how the light played through the dirty window pane, or the weathered paint on a rickety picket fence. Each vignette is told using a different mechanic, which changes up the styles quite a bit. Some are straightforward, and some are pretty unique (like one where you use the left hand to play a mini-game while simultaneously using the right to conduct a mundane task to tell the story). The acting is perfect, mostly told through Edith's voice but also involving some of the family members young and old. Game play is so simple you really can't get stuck but the subject matter is heavy at times (dead babies are sad). The whole thing is at times eerie, joyful, nostalgic, and heartbreaking. It took me less than two hours to play through the whole thing, which was perfect for a rainy Sunday afternoon, and left me totally satisfied as if I'd just finished a good book.

I recommend this for older kids (high school age probably, or mature middle schoolers), and YOU. Go play it, if for no other reason than to put money in the developers pockets (Anapurna) so they can make more of these.

For this message the author nathaniel151 has received thanks: 3 JP (10:01am July 23, 2018), Kevin (9:28am July 23, 2018), mikeyboy (9:30am July 23, 2018)