It is currently 9:11pm February 15, 2019

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ant-Man and the Wasp
PostPosted: 1:40pm July 13, 2018 
Jedi Gumshoe Badass

Have thanks: 1173 times
Xbox Live Gamertag: WaterlooJL
PSN Network name: WaterlooJL
Saw this Wednesday night. Went in with expectations of a solid B/B+ movie. The more I think about this movie the more I don't like it.

Spoiler:
I thought it was an above-average episode of Agents of SHIELD.

What I didn't like:
  • The villain was straight out of AoS. Budget costume and SFX. Budget actress TBH.
  • The mob-ish guys were sitcom villains.
  • The science was dumb even for a comic-book movie (but about par for Agents of SHIELD). I'm a comic guy so I have a pretty high tolerance for comic book science but I just shook my head like I was a boxer that had taken a right hook and went with it, sorta.
  • Dumb plot twist, silly "ooh he's a bad guy" twist with Morpheus that then didn't go anywhere
  • Amelia wondered if Ghost was a mid-production addition
  • I wondered why the whole thing felt like a TV show. One of the guys that works for me is an actual, in-IMDB, low-level cinematographer-type. He said that the lighting/framing wasn't very TV-like, but the the use of the B-plot (have to run back to Scott's house!) was very TV-like. It didn't help that almost every actor was a TV actor. Really, Walton Scoggins is your villain?

What I did like:
  • Evangeline Lily was great and all of her scenes were the best in the movie.
  • In particular her fight scenes. The Ghost-Phase, Wasp-Shrink fights, especially in the closed space of a truck cab, were awesome. I could have had another 25 minutes of that.
  • Some of the sight gags were really good, like Ant-Man using that truck as a push scooter.
  • Paul Rudd is always charming.
  • His kid made me smile several times.
  • Fun to see Michael Douglas as a comfortably aged actor. (less so Michelle Pfeiffer, jesus that's a lot of plastic surgery).

Updated rankings:
Spoiler:
Top Tier:
1. Cap: Winter Soldier
2. Black Panther
2. Avengers: Infinity War
4. Avengers
5. Guardians
6. Cap: Civil War

Middle Tier:
7. Guardians 2
8. Thor
9. Iron Man
10. Captain America
11. Avengers Age of Ultron

Not-really-very-good Tier:
12. Ant-Man
13. Dr. Strange
14. Ant-Man and the Wasp
15. Thor the Dark World
16. Iron man 3

Fuck-this-movie Tier:
17: Iron Man 2

Post subject: Re: Ant-Man and the Wasp
PostPosted: 5:24pm July 15, 2018 

Have thanks: 2404 times
Xbox Live Gamertag: flynnjr
Caught it with the fam this weekend. Liked it as much as the first one. The funny bits were funny.

Spoiler:
Seeing Stan Lee made me sad.
I disagree. It was good to see Michelle Pfeiffer. She looks 60. I like her a lot. Mike Douglas' surgery and beard cover a bit for how old he his but man he sounds like he's 80.
I'm with you on the tv-feel of it.
I'm just glad it wasn't an epic, end-of-the-world plot. Like Homecoming, the sideline Marvel stories are better when they're local.
Michael Peña is really funny. He was one of the only good parts of CHiPS.
I like Paul Rudd and I think he's funny. I don't like him as Ant Man. I also don't really like Ant Man as a hero so I'm not super motivated to care.

PostPosted: 6:11pm July 15, 2018 

Have thanks: 1407 times
Xbox Live Gamertag: Mikeyboy42
Michael wrote:
Caught it with the fam this weekend. Liked it as much as the first one. The funny bits were funny.

Spoiler:
I disagree. It was good to see Michelle Pfeiffer. She looks 60. I like her a lot. Mike Douglas' surgery and beard cover a bit for how old he his but man he sounds like he's 80.
I'm just glad it wasn't an epic, end-of-the-world plot. Like Homecoming, the sideline Marvel stories are better when they're local.
I like Paul Rudd and I think he's funny. I don't like him as Ant Man. I also don't really like Ant Man as a hero so I'm not super motivated to care.

I saw this and Incredibles 2 the past couple weeks. unfortunately we caught them both in the late shows so I did NOT catch the entire movie (my eyes were closed for decent sized chunks)

What I did see I liked enough though. I generally agree with Mike and Ethan. This was an ok family outing and everyone was happy with it. thumbs up.

worst part for me
Spoiler:
the stingers and end of credit additions were really bad. I really want these end of the movie bits to give me something to get excited about in next years marvel movies and this did not.

For this message the author mikeyboy has received thanks: Michael (9:14am July 16, 2018)
PostPosted: 9:01am July 16, 2018 

Have thanks: 2404 times
Xbox Live Gamertag: flynnjr
mikeyboy wrote:
Michael wrote:

Spoiler:

I saw this and Incredibles 2 the past couple weeks. unfortunately we caught them both in the late shows so I did NOT catch the entire movie (my eyes were closed for decent sized chunks)

What I did see I liked enough though. I generally agree with Mike and Ethan. This was an ok family outing and everyone was happy with it. thumbs up.

worst part for me
Spoiler:
the stingers and end of credit additions were really bad. I really want these end of the movie bits to give me something to get excited about in next years marvel movies and this did not.

Spoiler:
I guess I had forgotten about Thanos so I was completely surprised at the first post-credit scene. The second one was super dumb.

PostPosted: 10:40am July 16, 2018 
Jedi Gumshoe Badass

Have thanks: 1173 times
Xbox Live Gamertag: WaterlooJL
PSN Network name: WaterlooJL
Spoiler:
Funny, the Thanos-related stinger was one of the best moments of the whole movie. I loved it. But the ant playing drums was megadumb. An unnecessary callback to a joke that wasn't funny the 2nd or 3rd time already. I want the stingers to, as Mikey says, get me excited about what's next. Nick Fury's pager was that. This was not. I think Marvel missed the point of what made the Shwarma scene good.

Michael Douglas has always sounded like that. Even in his prime he sounded like his own grandfather. And agree about Michael Peña, he was great. His truth serum scene was really good. My review above glossed over the parts that were funny.

I'm totally cool with having a movie that doesn't feel like OMG-its-the-end-of-the-world. 100% agree. This is one of Allison's favorite Marvel movies, which just proves that there's a marvel movie for everyone. This just felt too small scale. The badness of the Ghost actress and the small potatoes nature of Walton Scoggins took me out of the moment. Once that flip in my brain switched midmovie ("This feels like a TV show") I couldn't shake it. I loved Homecoming. Again, to me, this felt like an episode of a mediocre TV show. Only one that cost me $50.

PostPosted: 9:41am July 17, 2018 

Have thanks: 1407 times
Xbox Live Gamertag: Mikeyboy42
Ethan wrote:
Spoiler:
Funny, the Thanos-related stinger was one of the best moments of the whole movie. I loved it. But the ant playing drums was megadumb. An unnecessary callback to a joke that wasn't funny the 2nd or 3rd time already. I want the stingers to, as Mikey says, get me excited about what's next. Nick Fury's pager was that. This was not. I think Marvel missed the point of what made the Shwarma scene good.

Michael Douglas has always sounded like that. Even in his prime he sounded like his own grandfather. And agree about Michael Peña, he was great. His truth serum scene was really good. My review above glossed over the parts that were funny.

I'm totally cool with having a movie that doesn't feel like OMG-its-the-end-of-the-world. 100% agree. This is one of Allison's favorite Marvel movies, which just proves that there's a marvel movie for everyone. This just felt too small scale. The badness of the Ghost actress and the small potatoes nature of Walton Scoggins took me out of the moment. Once that flip in my brain switched midmovie ("This feels like a TV show") I couldn't shake it. I loved Homecoming. Again, to me, this felt like an episode of a mediocre TV show. Only one that cost me $50.

Spoiler:
ok now hold on...what's up with killing Walton Goggins? I like him... Loved him in Sons of Anarchy. Loved him in Vice Principles. I never watched Justified, but I loved him in that too! :) So...Im fine giving him some big screen time. He was fine.

For this message the author mikeyboy has received thanks: Michael (10:44am July 17, 2018)
PostPosted: 2:32pm July 17, 2018 

Have thanks: 481 times
Xbox Live Gamertag: nathaniel151
Don't forget him in 'Django' or 'Hateful Eight'! I think he's currently ranked as the top actor in Hollywood for roles requiring a hateable racist shitkicker. I'd say he was due for a shot at the big time.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk